Thursday, March 4, 2010

Equipment failure

Of all the the equipment problems I envisioned on this bike trip, the last one that occurred to me was having the bolt holding my seat to my seat post snapping in half. Turns out hauling a 15lb watermelon in my backpack down to the beach was a little much for the bolt to handle, so it unceremoniously dumped me on my ass in the middle of a dirt road, still a little sore from that one. Fortunately after some trial and error at the bike shop the seat was reattached to the post in a usable, if not perfect fashion. I should say it was barely usable, round two with the bolt occurred yesterday in the midst of an epic climb and left me standing on the pedals for the last 8k of the climb, fun times. There are definitely worse things that could have broken on the bike, but riding without a seat certainly isn't any fun. I think I need to buy smaller watermelons.

Updated bike route

View Kerala Bike Route in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment